severe pkgsrc system usage

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Fri Sep 9 08:47:12 PDT 2005

hey,

just installing all pkgs new and I am noticing a real high system usage
when compiling with pkgsrc.  Plus because of this compilation is dog
slow.

I think this is because of libtool->pkgsrc toolchain wrapper (lots of
stuff)->objformat->cc (finally!)

we need to find a way to speed this up.  This is a Duron 1200 with
384MB RAM, so not too shabby.

So either we can find out what exactly is slowing the stuff down and
fix it in kernel or we need to tweak on the toolchain.  Having a
package build system which is so MUCH slower than ports won't make us
new friends.

Ideas somebody?

cheers
  simon
Work - Mac      +++  space for low $$$ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /
PGP.sig