PKGSRC will be officially supported as of the next release

Yury Tarasievich grog at grsu.by
Mon Sep 5 00:56:49 PDT 2005

On 3 September 2005 19:37, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :asmodai wrote @ Sat, 3 Sep 2005 16:06:22 +0200:
> :> -On [20050903 14:27], walt (wa1ter at xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> :> >wip/pkgmanager is a new attempt at an upgrade tool.  I've been making
> :> >suggestions to the author who has been very happy to have the feedback.
> :> >It's still alpha-quality at this early stage, but promising.
> :>
> :> I hope that's not the lisp program though.  I have something against
> :> depending on exotic languages nowadays. :P
> :
> :Exotic? Common Lisp is an iso standard!
> :Doing such stuff in C is not really a good decision.
> :
> :Andy
>
>     The problem with using languages like that is often that they require
>     significant infrastructure just to work.  It's a big problem for a
>     package manager to have to have a dozen libraries and fifty megabytes
>     worth of packages installed before the package installer itself will
. ..

I'd like to support Andreas here, on general assumption that 50 megs of
supporting packages is nothing if the tool (language) itself is appropriate
for the job and if the tools has a fairly wide support. Recognized, supported
and stable is what lisp seems like to me.

AFAIK, there are some major linguistics and AI packages written in lisp.