PKGSRC will be officially supported as of the next release

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Sep 3 09:39:10 PDT 2005

:
:asmodai wrote @ Sat, 3 Sep 2005 16:06:22 +0200:
:> -On [20050903 14:27], walt (wa1ter at xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
:> >wip/pkgmanager is a new attempt at an upgrade tool.  I've been making
:> >suggestions to the author who has been very happy to have the feedback.
:> >It's still alpha-quality at this early stage, but promising.
:>
:> I hope that's not the lisp program though.  I have something against
:> depending on exotic languages nowadays. :P
:
:Exotic? Common Lisp is an iso standard!
:Doing such stuff in C is not really a good decision.
:
:Andy

    The problem with using languages like that is often that they require
    significant infrastructure just to work.  It's a big problem for a
    package manager to have to have a dozen libraries and fifty megabytes
    worth of packages installed before the package installer itself will
    run.  We've encountered this issue just trying to make 'cvsup' and
    perl-driven programs work on multiple occassions.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>