bug tracking system

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Sep 1 23:10:38 PDT 2005

On 01 Sep 2005, wa1ter said:

Thereafter, when someone responds to your bug, you get an email which
contains the response and a URL which you click on to take you to the
bugzilla website so you can browse the entire thread.
This reminded me that the interface's "bug #" search query only works with
javascript enabled browsers. (I use elinks so I switch to firefox for bug
reporting or bug searches.)

As far as I know, you cannot just respond to a bugzilla email and
have it posted automatically to your continuing bug report thread.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
That was my experience (maybe over 25 times). (I have at least eight
Bugzilla accounts.)

Red Hat's Bugzilla setup is difficult for me. I taught a course covering
Security using Fedora Core. The chkrootkit wrapper ran the chkrootkit
command without passing the command line arguments. Easy fix. The bugzilla
process took me 15 minutes. There were many menus to help select the
software components I was using. It was overwhelming to me -- I could
imagine that it would be impossible for others. In fact, it didn't even
give me a choice for the software I reported a bug for (appears to be
fixed now). So I left it at the default first choice (some unrelated
program). Bugzilla often makes it so I don't want to file bugs.

I don't know bugzilla from the developers point of view yet.

I do know send-pr and edit-pr (but I don't know rest of GNATS). They are
acceptable to me. And a web-based interface would be useful for users to
update bugs. (I am guessing that exists somewhere.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. Sorry my emails don't have In-Reply-To headers. I am reading via web.