final thoughts - bug tracking system

Bill Huey (hui) billh at gnuppy.monkey.org
Thu Sep 15 10:42:51 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 10:21:30AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I'm not particularly fond of requiring a working java framework for our

Yeah, but don't be turned off by the fact that Java isn't working that well
under the BSDs. Java is a great environment where a lot of this kind of
programming can be done easily. There aren't that many good alternatives out
there as robust and targetted as Java for this development and I dare you to
name something better than it for these kind of tasks.

>     bug tracking system, either.  The jira folks are probably the nicest
>     people in the world, and I can't fault the UI, but there are a bunch of
>     things that just don't fit our framework well.  I really would prefer
>     writing one from scratch.

That's a lot of time that's wasted on things that's probably better handled by
other folks doing it full time. A lot of these companies may give you access
to their sources for you to customize. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

bill