severe pkgsrc system usage

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at in-nomine.org
Fri Sep 9 10:17:44 PDT 2005

-On [20050909 17:46], Simon 'corecode' Schubert (corecode at xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>just installing all pkgs new and I am noticing a real high system usage
>when compiling with pkgsrc.  Plus because of this compilation is dog
>slow.

Haven't really noticed that.

>So either we can find out what exactly is slowing the stuff down and
>fix it in kernel or we need to tweak on the toolchain.  Having a
>package build system which is so MUCH slower than ports won't make us
>new friends.

So you want to:

- investigate and fix the kernel

OR

- just tweak the toolchain (thus implying no investigation)

I think investigation is paramount in both cases.  Unless I am misplacing
your and/or, but given the sentence after that I do not think so.

Anyway, you sure you are getting accurate numbers?  I just saw top reporting
1280% for a cc1 process and after that I also saw this 516.62% 93.75% perl.
A bit whacked.

For all we know it might be namei resolutions that's causing issues
(.wrapper/bin uses hardlinks for example).

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://www.andf.info/
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/
Religion is the politics of spirituality...