Install Log

Jason jason at smethers.net
Tue Oct 18 13:45:15 PDT 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    fdisk is a sore spot.  Even I have problems using it.  I would love to
    find a replacement.  But sources won't solve the fdisk problem.
I'd really like to see a new one that supports at least the following
features:

- Full internal 64-bit LBA support
- Full command line oriented editing support
- Extended/Logical partition editing support
- EFI GUID Partition Table editing support
- Nicely formated output
I'd also like it, as well as the rest of the disk subsystem, to
completely ignore CHS if possible. I've already seen a BIOS that
stupidly changes the drive's CHS geometry and even between LBA and CHS
addressing based on the partition table in the drive's MBR -- it really
sucked having to hunt down why 300GiB partitions created with the
current fdisk utility made an ASUS A8N-Deluxe do some stupid stuff.

The EFI support is required for greater than 2TiB partitions. I plan on
having 3TiB+ RAID 5 arrays sometime soon, and would like to be able to
partition it as a single drive with a single filesystem.

I've worked on creating such a utility, but it is only half done and
other activites have been consuming my time lately.

- Jason