release version numbers and estimate dates

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Wed Oct 5 18:07:58 PDT 2005

I can't speak officially, but how I feel about it:

On 06.10.2005, at 00:06, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
Can someone point me to a webpage or doc that outlines the release
versions including upcoming release versions?
Last time I checked I didn't find it on the wiki and the webpage, so
maybe it was just on the lists.  I'll sum it up for you:

Many of you might recognize some similiarities to the version numbering
of the linux kernel.

Development happens only on CVS trunk.  This is called -DEVELOPMENT.
The version numbers of -DEVELOPMENT are *always* odd:  At the moment
we're at 1.3.  If we're far enough and feel that we should prepare a
new release, we try and get the code extra-stable++ and make a CVS
branch.  This release branch gets a new version which is *always* even:
 The latest release is 1.2.  The next release thus will be 1.4.
-DEVELOPMENT of course will advance to 1.5.

Release branches of course get bugfixes committed.  No new features,
never!  Every now and then, on both -RELEASE and -DEVELOPMENT branches,
Matt will assign a new subversion to the branch (1.2.6, 1.3.7).  This
is just so that users can see if there are changes (security fixed)
they should pull.

Then there are the sliptags:  DragonFly_Preview lies somewhere on
-DEVELOPMENT, it is some snapshot which will be updated now and then
(like some hours ago).  Every release also has a _Slip tag associated
which is the same snapshot, just on a release branch.  release_slips
are the "official" release versions.

And what about estimated dates for releases?
ETA still is december I think, but we'll have to see how far we get
till then.  I think we can always stabilize the code for a release, the
question is just if we want to use a semi-changed code base for
release.  But we'll care about this when we're there.

I am working on a BSD certification group for our "associate" (Junior
level) certification requirements document. We are defining versions of
DragonFly to cover. I am guessing that it should cover 1.3.x (or
something
like that). Will there be a 1.4 official release before April? Before
December?

I don't think it should cover a development version (which 1.3 is).
Things can change a lot here.  I think 1.2 or an upcoming 1.4 would be
better targets, but that's my personal opinion.

Before April?  I hope so.  Before December?  I doubt it.

cheers
  simon
Work - Mac      +++  space for low $$$ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /
PGP.sig