Timer question

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Oct 29 13:32:41 PDT 2005

:My circa-1994 P2-266 (still running!) laptop is the one where the 8254 timer 2
:was causing the problems with the ata driver when the video mode changed.
:
:I know Matt was eventually going to look into how this could be correctly
:solved, and now that I'm running HEAD and have offloaded my serious work to
:another box I'm willing to experiment.  What could I do first to help get this
:started, or at least starting learning about the relevant code?  This is all
:assuming the project Matt posted before about timer changes looking for a
:volunteer didn't already deal with this.

    I did do some work in this area.  The machine will use the ACPI timer
    if one exists instead of 8254/T2.  The dmesg output would say someething
    like:

    acpi_timer0: <24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0x4008-0x400b on acpi0

    if it was found.

:Also, now that Matt has committed some changes to ppbus drivers, I think I'll
:submit my Iomega MatchMaker patches, mostly just code cleanup but definitely
:useful.  This driver is my old stomping grounds, and the only evidence of my
:first foray into the kernel.  :-)
:
:jm

    Sure, go ahead.