Install Log

Oliver Fromme check+iojz3v00rs9ujfia at fromme.com
Tue Oct 18 05:24:16 PDT 2005

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 > Simon, Matt, what do you think about making the ISO a multi-session
 > disk? That would allow simple extensions.

I'm neither Simon nor Matt  ;-)  but I'd like to express my
opinion on this point anyway, if you don't mind.

In the past I've been creating the FreeBSD DVD-ROMs for the
Lehmanns publishing in Germany.  For the past two issues,
I have also added the latest DragonFly BSD to the DVD-ROM.
Even the dragonfly logo is printed on the cover.  :-)
It shares the same ISO9660 with FreeBSD and is directly
bootable from the menu, thanks to DragonFly's chroot(2)
feature of init(8).  (To be exact:  I added an entry to the
FreeBSD beastie menu.  When the key is pressed, the FreeBSD
kernel is unloaded, the DF kernel is loaded, the kenv flag
for the init chroot is set, and the "Fred" boot menu is
displayed.)

If DragonFly changed its ISO design to a multi-session CD,
I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to include it with the FreeBSD
DVD-ROM anymore, because it cannot be multi-session.  That
would be a pity, IMHO.

Just my point of view.

 > > DragonFly can't mount ext3 filesystems.
 >
 > Linux *can* write UFS with the right options, but I would still be
 > careful. The best common denomitor might be ext2, which should be
 > implemented by both.

I haven't tried it myself, but I understand that FreeBSD
can mount ext3 as ext2 (ignoring the journal feature).
That's OK for read-only access, but I don't know what
happens if you try to write to it.

Best regards
   Oliver