Interrupt routing code

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Nov 7 14:38:38 PST 2005

:I discovered a problem possibly related to the new interrupt code.  My Toshiba
:laptop has a LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 PC Card NIC that always worked fine
:before.
:
:Now, the card gives messages about 'IRQ 11 livelock exceeded 50000' or
:something similar.  If more details are needed, I can provide them when I get
:home later this afternoon.
:
:The messages continue repeating over and over, and DHCP is never able to get
:an address.
:
:jm

    Hmm.  Well, the interrupt routing code hasn't actually been changed,
    it works the same as it did before (or should).  But there have been
    changes made to the livelock detection code as well as changes made
    to ACPI, and some work has been done on the interrupt handler.

    So try:

    * Try booting without ACPI

    and

    * Try increasing the livelock limit (kern.livelock_limit) to 100000.
      (though I doubt this fix the problem).

    Also, try booting older ISOs (assuming your laptop has a CD drive)
    and see at what point the failure begins.

    It could also be a driver issue.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>