cvs commit: src/sys/conf options.i386 src/sys/i386/i386 initcpu.c

Yury Tarasievich grog at grsu.by
Sun Nov 6 03:05:26 PST 2005

On 5 November 2005 16:30, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> On 05.11.2005, at 14:12, David Rhodus wrote:
> > I don't think slowing down the boot time any more could hurt.  DFly
> > already has the slowest boot time of any operating systems that I use.
>
> Could you describe the slowliness?  Or better yet, find out what
> exactly makes it boot slow?

Well, this is just "shooting in the dark", but couple of years ago I'd had
experienced "extremely slow booting time" in first bootloader in freebsd 4.6
(rotating bar going one click per second). Perhaps this is the case?

The problem then occured to be some odd configuration of partitions boundaries
(made with some nonstandard tool, I believe), for when I've repartitioned
with approx. same sizes and relative positions, everything began to work
smooth.

-cheers