libc changes and freebsd-4 compatible binaries

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Tue May 3 03:34:25 PDT 2005

Yury Tarasievich wrote:
<cut>
So, as I see it, the bottom line is NO, after all.

Opera won't work (and this no mean thing), openoffice won't work (same), and
existing collections of freebsd-4 packages become useless. Compile everything
or die, eh? With all respect, but this is kicking people in the teeth, just
like what IBM did in their OS/2 times.

Or as with FreeBSD-5 with their libc change, progress sometimes asks for
sacrifices, luckily enough the libc won't be changed with the official
1.2 release. Although I find it frustrating too (the libmap bull was the
primary reason for me to leave Free) I reckon sometimes harsh measures
are needed. It is mostly better to brake with compatibility then to
suffer from old rubbish (Windows ME anyone?)

--
mph