resident buildworld

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Mar 29 15:44:22 PST 2005

:
:On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 04:31:19AM +0000, David Rhodus wrote:
:> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:16:37 +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger
:> <joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:> > On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 04:12:49AM +0000, David Rhodus wrote:
:> > > I was thinking today about how we patch the vendor files during the
:> > > buildworld process and the overhead added by running patch(1) all the
:> > > time. Perhaps we should use resident(8) more during buildworld on
:> > > program such as make, gcc, patch and other friends that are run
:> > > several times.
:> >
:> > I think those tools are statically linked. If not, they should.
:> >
:> > Joerg
:>
:> Why do you think they should be static binaries ?
:
:Makes them less depending on the environment. We add NOSHARED for
:the build and cross tool stage.
:
:Joerg

    Plus the startup time is a lot quicker... something that normally
    does not matter unless you are running the same program over and
    over again (which is what happens in a buildworld).

    resident does not make static binaries run any faster, so it would
    not improve performance.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>