Version numbering for release DECISION!

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Mon Mar 28 00:25:39 PST 2005

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

-CURRENT  Will indicate a build based on the head of the CVS
tree.
Can we use EXPERIMENTAL instead of CURRENT?  Semantically, it's
more clear.

No it isn't... "experimental" suggests something untested that may or
 may not be retained in future.  I think most commits to CURRENT are
already tested and will not be backed out, only debugged.  BSD users
know what "current" means.  Or something like "DEVEL" may be
appropriate too.
Agree....

When I suggested 'EXPERIMENTAL' is was solely with
the idea of one-off testing of patch 'sets' attempting
to address, for example, specific hardware interactions.
These would by definition not be applicable to general
use, though test and feedback might point the way to
development of a revision that could become such.
At the same time, there is probably no real need for
such a 'class', as it would be fairly rare - and largely
unsupportable - to have to change more than a few
'chunks' of source at a time.
 - Hardly what could be called a 'release'.

Bill