The use of the term PCI-X on this list

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Sat Mar 12 18:23:22 PST 2005

Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
In an ongoing (non-dying) thread on this list I keep seeing the term PCI-X
being used.  I am curious as to which PCI-X people are referring to, since I
am aware of two different things that use the term.  One of them is (if I
understand correctly) an extension to the PCI bus that has been around for a
few years and which seems mainly geared towards the server market.  The other
is PCI Express, apparently sometimes referred to as PCI-X as well.  So, for
most people on this list, which is it? Sometimes I think it is the former,
and sometimes it is the latter.
	PCI-X is different from PCI Express; the latter is also refered
	to as PCI-e.
		-Hiten