RFC: backporting GEOM to the 4.x branch

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Thu Mar 3 10:20:41 PST 2005

Richard Coleman wrote:
 > In many ways, this reminds me of the whole debate about whether it is
more secure to use ssh or encrypted telnet using Kerberos.  The reality
is that either one of them is infinitely better than what people were
using before.  Ssh won this battle because it was easier to install, not
because it won on theoretical grounds (I have no idea which is
theoretically better and it usually doesn't matter).

Whether it is GBDE or CGD, the best way to rapidly spread encryption is
to add a huge button during the install from cd that says "click here to
use encrypted disk".  The will quickly increase the number of people
using encrypted disks many fold in short order.  Until then, it will
always be a niche feature.

Richard Coleman
rcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
	Very well put.  Can we please end this thread now? Please?

		-Hiten