New scheduler algorithm committed

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 30 14:30:00 PDT 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :
> :
> :
> :On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :
> :>     Ok, please try the scheduler update I committed to HEAD last night
> :>     and tell me how it works.
> :
> :There is still a problem with usched_bsd4.c in the repository so it
> :can't be fetched.  A missing punctuation mark, I think it was.
>
>     Ok, I scrapped it entirely and re-added it to the repository.  Try now.

Okay, I'm typing this in pine, running in a gnome-terminal window, and I see
a solid improvement in responsiveness.  Definitely useable again, even if not
ideal.  There is still some hesitation while echoing chars to the screen,
but much improved, thanks!

BTW,  I think pine has little or nothing to do with this -- since I get the
same lag when just typing chars into the gnome-terminal command line.

I never mentioned before (but I'm sure you already know) than running the
'buildworld' in an xterm window was always light-years better than running
it in a gnome-terminal window.

I've noticed that gnome-terminal allows you to click on any URL that is
printed out in a gnome-terminal window -- so it must be parsing in real-time
all of the text that passes thru its rather clumsy hands.  I'm not at all
sure that this is a valuable feature -- I'd vote for its removal.

However, gnome-terminal's prinicpal asset is that it is a great benchmark
for scheduler maintainers ;o)