PAE with dragonfly

Craig Dooley xlnxminusx at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 12:38:23 PDT 2005

PAE lets you address 36 bits (although like you said, only 32 at a
time), but it makes the paging structures 64bits long, and AMD64 long
mode is built off the same structures.  The AMD64 manuals say you need
to enable PAE before enabling long mode.  Granted this would probably
mean only setting up a small page table before jumping to long mode,
but wouldn't the infrastructure for PAE on x86 make it easier to
implement AMD64?

-Craig