CALL TO COMMITTERS! HELPING WITH SPL REMOVAL!

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Thu Jun 2 13:56:59 PDT 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:Let me find a different way for the first step. I want to measure (and feel)
:the system before the change all of the tree. I have an idea how I can
:detect the spl() abuse (which has to be fixed anyway) and how we can
:replace the rest of the spls with critical sections to investigate the
:effect. The second step becomes mostly mechanical and I want to write
:a script to handle that first. Give me a few days to get it sorted out,
:since I also have to learn for a written exam on Monday :)
:
:This is not so much about whether the change is good or bad, but about
:*rushing* it in without thinking about the results first. We are not
:Linux afterall.
:
:Joerg
    No.  This is not going to be delayed.  I am doing this now.  If you
    want to add statistics to the interrupt vector code to track the number
    of interrupts due to spl and/or critical sections that's just fine,
    you can compare a before and after system.  But we are moving forward
    on this because it is something that has to be done no matter how you
    twist it.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
	Hmm.  Another thing that can be done is to convert it to use critical
	sections, while Joerg could do the statistics code, after which you
	and Joerg can exchange patches...?
						Hiten Pandya