Documentation

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Wed Jul 27 14:48:17 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 05:06:53PM -0400, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> On Wed, July 27, 2005 10:47 am, Joerg Sonnenberger said:
> > You mean other than reading the HEADS UPs? I try to warn at least after
> > distruptive changes and point to possible fixes. Sometimes things slip
> > through, either because I didn't expect the breakage or before I just
> > forget them.
>
> What happens if someone doesn't read the mailing lists?  Someone running
> HEAD should be, of course, but anything that affects non-HEAD users should
> be written down someplace else more permanent.

I agree on this. I'll add entries to UPDATING once the current interface
work is done, together with incrementing the tiny version. Something
like "When updating from pre-1.3.3 to HEAD, keep in mind that ...".

I should also add that the PAM are not as bad as it seems, as long as
you don't mix them. It certainly can be surprising to edit /etc/pam.conf
and find the new settings being ignored, because the service was already
descriped somewhere else :-)

> That's a large part of the reason I put together the DragonFly BSD Log; so
> people don't have to read mailing lists religiously to see what's going
> on.  CVS logs should be the avenue of last resort for most people.

*nod*

/me whispers about a low-traffic dragonfly-headsup list

Joerg