HEADS UP: ABI changes in HEAD

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Mon Jul 25 06:06:24 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 07:55:54AM -0400, David Rhodus wrote:
> On 7/23/05, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > in preparation for the PREVIEW slip, I'll commit some libc ABI changes
> > over the next days. If you don't want to recompile your world and your
> > packages all the time, wait with buildworld until the PREVIEW slip.
> >
> > BE CAREFUL!
> >
> > Joerg
>
> Just wondering what changes are you making that are going to break current ABI ?

The first part was to separate the exported part of FILE from the
internals to allow us to change the internals at will. It also broke
a Ruby extension, which insists in taking the size of FILE, but that's something I
don't care about.

Next on the list are:
- stat() ABI changes to prepare for large filesystems (64bit inode
numbers + 32bit link counts)
- libm ABI changes planned. I'm still investigating this, but it needs
to be done at one point. The sooner the better.
- in the implementation phase is explicit linking of the libc version to
all shared objects, allowing the detection of major version mixing

I still have to cleanup the libc symbol list, that's pending.

I also want to have a stable ABI, I'm doing a lot of package building
myself :-)

Joerg