strcpy -> strlcpy?

Hiten Pandya hmp at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 5 04:23:15 PST 2005

Not to play devil's advocate, but with the contrib framework we have
in place, it shouldn't be much of a trouble to add those in, unless
the GCC guys are ready to merge them.

Hiten Pandya
hmp at freebsd.org

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Matthew Dillon wrote:

 :
 ::If you're interested, we've got some simple modifications in the OpenBSD
 ::gcc (both 2.95 and 3.3) which checks for these kinds of errors.  It
 ::does need relevant functions like strlcpy(3) to be marked up with
 ::attributes to indicate which arguments are buffers and which are buffer
 ::sizes.
 ::
 ::I haven't had a chance to feed these back into gcc, but they should be
 ::pretty easy to extract from the OpenBSD tree, and are documented here:
 ::http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=gcc-local
 ::
 ::--
 ::Anil Madhavapeddy                                 http://anil.recoil.org
 ::University of Cambridge                          http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk
 :
 :    Well... I think that might be overkill.  I can see where it would help
 :    people doing large code updates but in all the code I've ever looked at
 :    in FreeBSD and DragonFly I found that sort of sizeof(pointer) conversion
 :    error only once or twice, a few years ago in the FreeBSD tree.  That just
 :    isn't enough to justify maintaining a compiler hack for it.
 :
 :					-Matt
 :					Matthew Dillon
 :					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>