DragonFly on an AMD64 machine

Bryan Berch dfbsd at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 22 07:27:28 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 23:46 -0600, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
>
> >-On [20050103 05:02], Glenn Johnson (glennpj at xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >

> >>How can I help?  Would I install 32-bit DragonFly and then compile some
> >>things for 64-bit and test, etc.?  The AMD64 system I have is a laptop,
> >>which probably presents another set of challenges.  I need to keep
> >>Windows on it so it will have to be dual boot.  I am not sure when I
> >>will be able to set that up but I would like to help if I can.
> >>

> >It should be fully backwards compatible, so I wonder if it boots at all on
> >your system.
> >
> >That's a first. :)
> >

> I finally got around to trying to boot DragonFly on the AMD64 laptop.
> It did not get very far into the boot process however.  The machine
> powered off while loading the kernel.  The laptop is a Compaq R3340US
> and I seem  to remember someone else on the list saying that it would
> not boot.  Oh well. :-(

It is not the AMD64 causing the problem on the Compaq R3300US series,
but it is the keyboard.  Here is the link to the iso Matt generated to
try to get it booted, if it is still available.

  http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~dillon/dfly-20041227-current.kbd.iso.gz

I could get the whole way through the boot with this image, but no
keyboard at the prompt.   It was a Compaq R3306US.  If a usb keyboard
was attached before starting the laptop the usb keyboard would work.  I
never could get the laptops keyboard to work.  That iso will boot fine
and run fine on any of my other systems.

Bryan