OT: OS choice for dedicated server

Hiten Pandya hmp at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 6 05:39:59 PST 2005

I would suggest that if you don't go with any of the FC releases,
because I have noticed some weird data corruption issues on a RAID-5
system (IBM xSeries 345) and other similar line of products.  Even
though such systems are not supported by 4.10 (unless ips driver got
ported) I would not be in a position to entrust faith in FC due to
the bad experience I have had while using it in a production
environment.

FreeBSD 5.3 is good for production, compared to 5.2.1, so you can
eliminate the latter.  I don't know much about Cent-OS to say
anything.

So it looks like you are left with 4.10 and 5.3 to choose from for
your system.  Quite a lot of userland updating work has gone into
the 5.x line of FreeBSD, especially POSIX conformation, etc.  My
opinion is that if 4.10 can support your hardware config, go with
it (I am taking a pragmatic view).

Hope that helps,

Hiten Pandya
hmp at freebsd.org