ptmalloc2

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Thu Feb 17 15:47:52 PST 2005

On Thursday, 17. February 2005 22:00, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 03:03:35PM -0500, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> :> JIC you are not following freebsd-hackers, there was an interesting
> :> discussion about the linux thread-aware malloc that is under a BSD
> :> license. This link comes from an older thread:
> :
> :There are other alternatives as well, which may or may not perform
> :better for different work loads. I would schedule this discussion
> :after we have an interface for remapping without open file descriptor.
> :
> :Joerg
>
>     One of them being our own thread-aware slab allocator.  We would
> have to cut down the slab size to make it efficient but it would be
> worth porting into userland (not difficult since I originally developed
> it in userland) just to see how well it stacks up.

i wrote (more out of couriosity) a slab allocator which support object
construction and destruction and also uses the fast magazines. last time
i timed it vs. userland malloc(), the slab alloc had about double the
speed. it has been written with smp in mind, but not yet implemented smp
safe.

in case somebody wants to take a look:
<http://dragonfly.the-bofh.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/slaballoc/trunk/?root=SVN+Projects>

cheers