RFC: backporting GEOM to the 4.x branch

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Fri Feb 4 04:08:01 PST 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:

    I don't have any plans to backport GEOM.  We have plans to create a
    more generic device and vfs infrastructure, which is similar, but
    we have no plans to backport the actual GEOM code.
Uhh. I'm not involved in the project enough to "start preaching" but
please try make it API compatible with GEOM! I personally like the
features GEOM provides very much, and it would be a serious waste of
resources not to have all the GEOM modules ("classes") already written
for FreeBSD working in DragonFly. New GEOM utilities and classes are
written daily and have large amounts of usefull functionality already
developed.