rc and smf

Dan Melomedman dan at a.mx.devonit.com
Thu Feb 24 10:54:16 PST 2005

George Georgalis wrote:
> djbware is quite the catalyst for ongoing disagreements, no doubt about
> that but I think the contention comes from FUD, not the software which
> has never bitten me once I understood its operation.

djbware challenges conformity, that's one of the reasons why DJB is so
hated. He's a guru with meticulous attention to security and reliability
details in both code and design, and that offends many people.

> Per Matt's smf comment, my first thought was that's just what
> daemontools has done for years, presumably better invoked under
> runit vs init.

runit is meant as  replacement for both init, and/or daemontools. runit
is a daemontools-like design with more features. Service
dependencies, service waitdown, and reliable logger shutdown.

smarden.org/runit/