rc and smf

Dan Melomedman dan at a.mx.devonit.com
Thu Feb 24 09:55:18 PST 2005

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> Actually, this is exactly one of the situations where I don't want
> automatic, silent restarts. It hides problems, which is in my position
> even more problematic. "Magic restart" doesn't solve every problem.
>
> Joerg

Nothing solves every problem. Supervision solves the 'Oops, something
crashed, and needs to be restarted' problem. If my nearby nuclear power
plant's reactor monitoring software running on a Unix box gets killed
due to a memory leak, I want it restarted immediately, not wait for the
administrator to find out by the time the reactor melts down. All fault
tolerant systems have some kind of supervision in software. Nobody would
hire you to run one of them.

--
"Your enemy is not surrounding your country. Your enemy ir ruling your country"