rc and smf

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Thu Feb 24 06:56:10 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:18:36PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> I've been meaning to give runit a spin. I've been very happy with
> socklog (syslogd replacement) from smarden.org; daemontools and other
> djb software too, despite the build on the target license requirement.
>
> My first impression with Solaris Service Management Facility, is the
> likely proprietary nature of it. While the license didn't exactly jump
> out and bite me, I suspect the technology as well as the code is not
> open. Is it?

I consider most of daemontools useless software, because it is build
on the wrong assumptions. A normal daemon should not need supervision,
just like a normal daemon can either write its own log files [if the
volume is high] or just use syslog.

runit is a nice program, if you come from SysV world. BSD init is much
simpler, you don't need it for the normal BSD world. Read above for
comments about "supervising programs".

I'm not sure I like the SMF, it has to be carefully evaluted wether
the increase in parallelism really gains noticable speed and wether
it compensates for the more confusion log on startup. Always keep
in mind that higher parallelism can slow down e.g. IO access by
adding seeks.

Joerg