phk malloc, was (Re: ptmalloc2)

Dan Melomedman dan at a.mx.devonit.com
Tue Feb 22 22:32:36 PST 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Well, you are welcome to run software on whatever platform you feel
>     fits it best, but no magic sysctl is going to make your systems more
>     dependable if the software running on them is trying to use more
>     resources then are available.  Unless you are actually running yourself

I want to prevent services that allocate memory only once to a
configurable limit from being killed by the OS because other services
ate it. I want predictable memory failures. Either give me physical
memory, or return an error code. If I see an error code, I immediately
exit. Don't lie to me about physical memory and kill me in the future.
That's what I want. That's all. I may not even _want_ to use swap if the
problem at hand has strict security or performance requirements. In
other words I want some processes to be far more resilient about memory
than others. I can't do it with overcommit.