rc and smf

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Wed Feb 23 17:22:12 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 06:45:56PM -0500, Dan Melomedman wrote:
>Also for those interested, smarden.org/runit is a great replacement for
>the standard init. Dependencies support, faster boot times, etc.

I've been meaning to give runit a spin. I've been very happy with
socklog (syslogd replacement) from smarden.org; daemontools and other
djb software too, despite the build on the target license requirement.

My first impression with Solaris Service Management Facility, is the
likely proprietary nature of it. While the license didn't exactly jump
out and bite me, I suspect the technology as well as the code is not
open. Is it?

Some not so random links...

http://www.superscript.com/ucspi-ipc/intro.html
ipcserver and ipcclient are command-line tools for building local-domain
client-server applications. They conform to the UNIX Client-Server
Program Interface, UCSPI.

http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html
example run scripts for daemontools

http://smarden.org/socklog/
socklog - small and secure replacement for syslogd

http://smarden.org/runit/replaceinit.html
runit - replacing init

http://skarnet.org/
Some software. Some mailing-lists.

This week was my first exposure to rcorder, which I find very cool, and
may well incorporate to a Linux imaging project I'm working on (targets
require some variable set of modules, manual ordering of which is prone
to error).

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at xxxxxxxxx