RFC: backporting GEOM to the 4.x branch

ALeine aleine at austrosearch.net
Thu Feb 3 18:59:32 PST 2005

dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>     There is no ETA for this stuff, and no, the API will not be compatible
>     with GEOM.  You seem to be quite fixated on GEOM.  I consider it an
>     interesting subproject but trying to port it would bind us to the FreeBSD
>     BIO model which isn't all that good as far as I am concerned.

Actually, the main reason I want to have GEOM backported is GBDE. Perhaps I
should just deGEOMify GEOM Based Disk Encryption. I just checked and GBDE
consists of about 2000 lines of code. Would you be interested in integrating
such deGEOMified Disk Encryption into DragonFly BSD?

As far as BUF/BIO model changes are concerned, I understand that the I/O subsystem
was supposed to be moved from KVA mapped buffers to page lists (using XIO to
manage the page lists). Have any other significant changes been made to the FreeBSD
BUF/BIO model that I should be aware of to be able to integrate deGEOMified Disk
Encryption (dGDE) into DragonFly BSD?

ALeine