FreeBSD4 compatibility

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Dec 29 16:24:56 PST 2005

:Matt, do you see problem maintaining FreeBSD4 compatibility in the future? How hard would be to have FreeBSD 5+
:compatibility?
:
:Toma¾

    We have never been binary compatible with FreeBSD 5+ and we never
    will be.

    It's not really a project goal to maintain binary compatibility with
    FreeBSD.  We've maintained binary compatibility with FreeBSD4 primarily
    to leverage programs and to leverage the BSD ports tree that we inherited
    from FreeBSD4.  Now that we are moving to pkgsrc, that is becoming
    far less of an issue.  Linux compatibility is probably more important,
    but even linux compatibility is not a project goal.

    DragonFly's ultimate project goal is transparent clustering.  I want to
    be able to type in a few commands to create a computing service, allocate
    some resources to it, attach it to a 'cluster' over a LAN and over
    the internet, and have it 'just work'.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>