Plans for 1.5

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Dec 18 10:07:07 PST 2005

:Very exciting stuff indeed, as I read through the documentation and
:watched the demos on http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/ I
:become curious how you are going to implement the NFSv4 like ACL scheme?
:Also I am a bit confused in how deeply you planned to use ZFS.
:Is this like only root in UFS and the rest in ZFS? How about swap?
:
:--
:mph

    I'm thinking eventually a complete replacement, assuming that the
    core port pans out.  ZFS has some amazing self healing properties
    that are clearly far superior to current technologies.   You can add
    and remove portions of the topology (add mirrors, RAID elements, etc)
    on the fly without having to do complete disk rebuilds.  It is clearly
    capable of handling a filesystem that might be strewn all over a
    cluster of machines or even have portions which exist 'out there' on
    the internet.  It is clearly capable of delivering high levels of
    data integrity and security on huge multi-terrabyte filesystems.  It
    doesn't need an 'fsck' at all.  Just a ton of reasons.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>