SiI 3112 ATA Controller (and UDMA33 vs SATA150)

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Mon Aug 29 05:03:47 PDT 2005

Michel Talon <talon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Dave Hayes wrote:
>> I thought it was an SiI 3112? FreeBSD 5.4 thinks it is, and if I
>> presume correctly that you are inferring this name and model from the
>>
> Anyways, in case you are not aware, if it is is really a SiI 3112,

I presume it is a waste of energy to be sure of anything in public. No
matter how sure one is something, chances are someone will "correct"
this sureness...regardless of the correctness or lack thereof of either
party. Such a conflict can only waste energy.

Thus, I rely only on hard data, which doesn't need my surety to
exist. All hard data points to this being an SiI 3112 and that
DragonFly doesn't support it. But I am still unsure of what it
really is. ;)

> you may discover that it works in a very poor way, in case it works at
> all. FreeBSD developers strongly discourage the use of this hardware.

Yes, so I read. I am purchasing a 3ware. I need some stability and
support, which the discussions seem to indicate SiI 3112 lacks (and
hence the decision to use DragonFly over FreeBSD 5.X...FreeBSD 4.X
does not boot on this box).

Of course, why I am using SATA and not SCSI when I need stability
is my foible and quite beyond the scope of this message.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at xxxxxxxxxxx

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from
the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I
am ungrateful to those teachers.            -- Kahlil Gibran