Planned updates for the wlan support of DragonFly

Gordon Bergling gbergling at 0xfce3.net
Fri Aug 12 12:24:48 PDT 2005

Hi Joerg,

* Thus spake Joerg Sonnenberger (joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 01:11:25PM +0200, Gordon Bergling wrote:
> > My questions at the moment are
> >  - is someone working on this part right now?
> >  - what about the locking of the 802_11 layer?
>
> I have the current 802.11 layer in my tree together with the ral(4)
> driver. I also wanted to look at ath(4) after Monday.

That sounds good. :)

> > I think I could do the job in this particular order:
> >
> >   1. bring 802_11 uptodate
> >   2. update the existing drivers (wi and so on)
>
> The problem here is that (1) and (2) have to be done together.

Thats right, if (1) whould be commited and (2) not directly afterwards, we
whould break the existing drivers.

> Locking is a big problem, I still have to fully investigate the use in
> 802.11.

I could't help here, I think. I have experience in porting things from
on os to another, but changing the locking strategie from FreeBSD to the
one DragonFly uses, that whould more then my knownledge in this things can
provide. ;)

I think I could help with porting the other usb wlan nics over to
DragonFly, but I am not sure that the usb code that we have currently in
the tree will work with them out of the box.

If you think I could help you with some part please contact me.

best regards,

	Gordon

--
Gordon Bergling <GBergling at 0xfce3.net>	      http://www.0xFCE3.net/
PGP Fingerprint:  7732 9BB1 5013 AE8B E42C  28E0 93B9 D32B C76F 02A0