SiI 3112 ATA Controller (and UDMA33 vs SATA150)

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Tue Aug 23 13:41:30 PDT 2005

[ Apologies in advance if this is the wrong list. I figure this
  is a kernel issue...so...let me know if my judgement is judged
  to be in error. ]

Greetings noble DragonFly kernel people. I am a fresh new DragonFly
user (but old school FreeBSD user) and I have experienced some
anomalies which I'm hoping to get some insight into.

The man page for ata(4) says:

  The currently supported SATA controllers with their
  maximum speed include:

   SiI 3112/3114/3124/3512  Serial ATA 150, 150 MB/sec

FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE tells me this:

  atapci0: <SiI 3112 SATA150 controller> port
  0xac00-0xac0f,0xb000-0xb003,0xb400-0xb407,0xb800-0xb803,0xbc00-0xbc07
  mem 0xdfeffc00-0xdfeffdff irq 18 at device 2.0 on pci6

DragonFly 1.3-preview (from the CD preview image I got from some
. de site) tells me this:

  pci6: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1095, dev=0x0240) at 2.0 irq 9
  pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x8086, dev=0x266a) at 31.3 irq 10

I've had to turn ACPI off (more exactly: boot with ACPI disabled in
the menu that posts an ascii dragonfly) because of:

  kernel: acpi_bus_number: can't get _ADR

which is common to both FreeBSD 5.4 and DragonFly.

Ok, so how can I get my SiI card to be seen by the kernel? I've supped
the latest "preview" sources (tag=DragonFly_Preview)
but if I need to go development I will.

[ BTW a big -thank you- to whomever set the /usr/share/examples/cvsup
files to Just Work. Also kudos to the enlightened decision to include
a working cvsup binary with the OS. ]

Also I keep getting these:

  kernel: ad7: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device

I have these nifty red cables which were hooked between the disk and
controllers by someone with a history of knowing what they are doing.
Also, FreeBSD 5.4 correctly set the mode to SATA150, however it is
having problems at that speed with WRITE_DMA timeouts. Is there a way
to get the driver to use this speed? Is that advisable? Is that
advisable given I am going to be using vinum/software raid5? Did
I not ask the correct question and, if so, what is the correct
question (with answer) to ask?

Thanks in advance for any answers to these pressing questions of mine.
Apologies in advance if I tweak anyone's advocacy or religious bias.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at xxxxxxxxxxx

Your ego is a failed API for a system that doesn't need your
input.