DragonFlyBSD / 386BSD 1.0 - modularity

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Aug 2 17:38:00 PDT 2005

On Monday,  1 August 2005 at 20:14:12 -0700, Bruce R. Montague wrote:

> Hi, re:
>> [misplaced attribution to Greg Lehey]

>>> I assume your talking about this book :
>>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D1573980269/openbsdA/103-1042707-6979066
>>
>> Yes, that looks like it.
>
> If you're stomping around in 386BSD, you might find
> of interest the 11 articles written by Lynne and
> William Jolitz in the January through November 1991
> editions of Dr. Dobbs Magazine.  These should be
> accessible at most good research libraries. This
> series of articles was entitled "Porting Unix to the
> 386". Their book and the articles seem somewhat
> similarly flavored.

Yes, this was in fact my introduction to BSD.  I also bought a very
expensive CD-ROM with "386BSD V 1.0" from Dr. Dobbs.  It contains the
complete text of the articles in some obsolete Microsoft format.  If
anybody's interested, *and if the license permits*, I'll make them
available.

> Incidently, their book is labled "Volume 1", were there ever any
> other volumes?

I think I saw a volume 2 at the same time.  It's been a while, and my
memory may be playing tricks.

> Also as an aside, Linus Torvalds announced the first public version
> of Linux in August 1991 and in his announcement message noted that
> he had started working on Linux around April. In an interview
> somewhere, Linus noted that he was aware of the Dr. Dobbs 386BSD
> articles and found them interesting. The first couple of 386BSD
> articles described how to bootstrap a system on the 386.

Yes, I know he was aware of BSD at the time.  It's quite possible that
he used the information.

Greg
--
Finger grog at xxxxxxxxx for PGP public key.
pgp00003.pgp