Version numbering for release DECISION!

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Fri Apr 1 15:12:20 PST 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 12:32:06AM +0200, Erik P. Skaalerud wrote:
>Ed skrev:

>>>Sorry, I think this is overkill.
>>>
>>>In the years I've been giving FreeBSD user support people already had
>>>difficulty understanding the difference between three names.
>
>Yes, I know that FreeBSD people have difficulties understanding the
>branch names, -because- FreeBSD names a not released branch as -STABLE.
>Imagine yourself being a new user, what sounds more stable? The word
>STABLE or RELEASE? We all here understand what the branches are, but
>newcomers don't.
>
>Sorry if someone have answered this question before, but why should a
>post-release branch be named -STABLE? It does not make any sense at all
>(or does it?). Please enlighten me :-)
>
>My suggestion is to have one branch named -CVS (or some other _very_
>spooky name, like -DEVEL), one named -BETA(ALPHA?) (similar to freebsd's
>-STABLE) and one named -RELEASE. IMHO this scheme is easy to understand,
>and it will not attract unexperienced people to branches wich they
>really should not run.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but what exactly is the need
for a -RELEASE tag? Isn't it just the oldest date of a given -STABLE?

-CURRENT   Will indicate a build based on the head of the CVS tree.
-WORKING   Will indicate a build baesd on our current stable tag
-STABLE    Will indicate a build based on a post-release branch.

so if someone wants "20050401-RELEASE" for some reason, they just
grab the 20050401 iso, or

 cvs co -D 'April 1, 2005' -r 20050401-STABLE .

think syntax is right, unchecked.

. ..and while I'm posting, how about these tags...

-UNSTABLE
-WORKING
-STABLE

Happy Fools day!

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at xxxxxxxxx