Release page review / comments, plus HEADS UP to our mirrors.

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Fri Apr 8 20:20:45 PDT 2005

Claus Assmann wrote:

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005, Claus Assmann wrote:

Let's see whether I can send it via the list because sending it
directly doesn't work:
<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Remote-MTA: 216.240.41.2
Reason:
550 5.0.0 You cannot send email directly from a DSL or CABLEMODEM or other mass-media host, you must instead relay it through your ISP's mail host.  Sorry, there is too much spam coming from customers of your ISP and your ISP is not doing a good job of stopping it.  If you are a legitimate mail domain you must have a correctly configured reverse DNS.
That's a 'catch 22'.

Matt's MTA seems to be set to block 'allocated portable' source IP's
with no DNS record of their own, i.e. those running an MTA on their
own PC with dial-up, cable, or ADSL.
Downside is that the 'upstream ISP', in many cases,
has an *abysmal* record and is often in one or several
RBL's - and should be.
BTW: what do you mean by "correctly configured reverse DNS"? Forward
and reverse lookup match... do you mean the PTR record should resolve
to one of my domains?
Matt seems to use 'strict' rDNS lookup.  Mainline MTA authors,
(Hazel, Varshavchick, Venema, et al) are more sanguine,
'coz rDNS is quite often non-exisistent or incorrectly
configured (most virtual-hosting, for example).
Most will assign negative spam score points for lack of
rDNS, but not block outright.  If nothing else is negative
your message goes through.  Not so on backplane.com
As rDNS can also be utilized by spammers to target their
attack to specific demographics, some folks don't use it.
Horses for courses.....