Stable tag will be slipped Sunday and release engineering will begin Monday

Steve Rumble rumble at ephemeral.org
Sun Apr 3 18:08:17 PDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 12:39:45PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     We still do not have an official packaging system, but David Rhodus and
>     a number of other people now have significant experience and that may well
>     dictate how we go on that.  Most people are already dependant on Dave's
>     remote pkg_src repository :-).  I still want to create a VFS environment
>     which guarentees the dependancies and can be used to build the packages,
>     which requires a working nullfs filesystem.  I'm hoping I can get someone
>     to work on a nullfs replacement.

This is one area in which I do not see the different BSDs as
deriving any great benefit from the forks. The kernels and
userland benefit from the different goals and diversity
throughout, and this is tangible to me as a user. However, the
different package systems all feel essentially the same to me -
they all install and manage software. Aside from pkgsrc's
portability, I don't see a great deal of difference between them
aside from claimed number of packages and slight differences in
usage. In short, I see the different package systems as being
a lot of unnecessary duplication of work.

I think that it would behoove the BSDs to more tightly coordinate
the package systems. Especially, I think that for a smaller and
more progressive project like DragonFly, there are more important
and interesting things to be doing than building another ports or
pkgsrc replacement. I'm happy to see DFBSD not leaning that way.

I don't know much about the package systems beyond a simple user's
perspective, so take what I've said with a grain of salt.

Steve
pgp00004.pgp