[Re: failure notice spam]

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Wed Sep 15 14:21:39 PDT 2004

At 2:04 PM -0700 9/15/04, Matthew Dillon wrote:
Garance wrote:
:
:It's easy to do minor variations on this.  The first thing that
:comes to my mind is to require a specific email address (such
:as "has-mime at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx") in the BCC field.  [...]
:
:The way that I would imagine it to work is that all MIME-encoded
:mail which arrives directly to the mailing list would be thrown
:away, but mail which arrives at has-mime at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx would
:then be inserted into whatever mailing list it referenced in the
:"To:" or "CC:" fields.  (if no legit mailing list was referenced,
:the message would be thrown away -- so spam sent to that magic
:address would not end up on any mailing list).
:
:Hmm.  This seemed so simple when I started to write it, but is
:getting a little more complicated as I think about it...
:
    In order to allow unsubscribed postings or postings from a
    different email address then the person subscribed(1) I would
    like to have some sort of mechanism, a header or something in
    the body, etc (Bcc: won't work, it gets stripped before the
    list server sees it) that enables the mime to go through.
I think Bcc should work, in the manner I described.  The key idea
is that you process it at the *bcc* address, not the mailing-list
address.  The mailing-list would just always toss out incoming
mime mail (from non-subscribers).  But you've also have some kind
of procmail setup at the BCC destination, and that would add the
messages into the real mailing list.  So you're doing the work
based on the email arriving at has-mime at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, instead
of trying to read the (non-existent) Bcc header.
[I agree that this may be more trouble than it's worth, but I do
believe it could be made to *work*, assuming someone wanted to.
I just wanted to clarify what my idea was]
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx