The dream platforms for Dragonfly?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Sep 29 12:28:29 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:18:19PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :So, is this the kind of machine that Dragonfly is hoping to make
> :the most of?
> :
> :http://www.orionmulti.com/news/pr_083020041
> :
> :(one product is a 12-cpu cluster in a desktop box, and the other
> :is a 96-cpu cluster in a somewhat bigger box.  Transmeta CPU's
> :to keep the power requirements down...)
> :
> :--
> :Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> :Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx
>
>    The clustering scheme that I am most intent on supporting is a LAN or
>    WAN based cluster of discrete machines.

That's precisely what the Orion system is -- the on-board interconnect
is GigE, with a 10GigE backplane between boards.  No information about
topology available yet, AFAICS.  It's just a fairly dense packaging of
your standard PC cluster.  (The impressive question to me is how they
fit 96 DIMM sockets onto a single 12"x12" board.)

-andy