Heads up: Contributions and advertisement clause

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Sep 12 10:08:40 PDT 2004

:Hi all,
:in the recent discussion, there was a consent that the fourth clause of
:the original BSD license is mostly unnecessary now. It is still in a lot
:of our code base, waiting to be cleaned up. For this to easier in the
:future, I'd like to ask all commiters and distributers to answer this
:mail if they agree with the removal. For those parts an explicit
:adversitement is wanted, it should be noted explicitly.
:
:Doing it now saves us the paperwork for tracing down our own changes later.
:We only have to verify / merge with FreeBSD, which is time consuming enough.
:
:Joerg

    We can only remove the fourth clause for (c)Copyrights that only list
    the U.C. Regents.  Any copyright listing other authors instead of or in
    addition to the U.C. Regents requires us to get those author's permission.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>