Suggestion - when bugs posted in bugs@ are resolved, post a followup/reply to bugs@

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Tue Sep 7 16:23:15 PDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Yah yah, I know we have bugzilla..

Hmm.  I wasn't aware of it -- I must've been drunk or asleep the day it
was announced.  I just revisited the DFly website and I couldn't find any
mention of the bugzilla site (?)

>     ...I have had several bad experiences
>     over the years attempting to report bugs to other projects and...
>     wondering whether they even want people to report bugs.

I reported an obvious bug to <name-witheld> open-source OS a couple of years
back and got such a warm welcome from the team leader that I lost interest
in their work.  I got an off-list email apology the next day from one team
member who forgot (several months earlier) to commit the fix for the bug I
reported.

I'll never forget that lesson -- don't leave you own audience too scared
or humiliated to fix errors and ommissions.  I do believe that the
<unnamed project>'s 'one remote exploit in over eight years' could have
been caused by some poor shlub who was afraid to speak up when he should
have--or because lusers get tired of being abused when they report bugs.

I really do appreciate the friendly and constructive atmosphere surrounding
this project -- just one of *many* reasons it has done so well up 'til now,
and will continue to do even bigger things in the future.