CLOG support in syslogd

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Oct 28 11:41:32 PDT 2004

At 2:41 PM +0200 10/28/04, Emiel Kollof wrote:
Op donderdag 28 oktober 2004, schreef Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai:
 > -On [20041028 02:52], Scott Ullrich (geekgod at xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
 > > This would allow someone to set the size of a log file and syslogd
 > > would automatically keep the file size from growing larger than
 > > specified.

 How is this different from the size column in /etc/newsyslog.conf?
newsyslog is run from cronjob and can not ensure that the log
size stays below  the value in newsyslogd.conf. AFAICT this can.
If I recall correctly, Wes Peters was interested in doing something
similar with syslogd in FreeBSD.  The one thing I'd suggest is that
you still let newsyslog do the file rotation.  I did had some new
features to newsyslog to help with this, but I don't think Wes ever
made the matching changes to syslogd.  He might have made the changes
to the 5.x-branch, but never MFC'ed them into 4.x.  I did MFC my
changes to newsyslog.
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx