vfs megapatch 09 (not for the faint of heart)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Oct 10 13:02:52 PDT 2004

:As a test I deleted /usr/src/sys/* and cvsup'd again.  After that
:your vfsx09.patch applied cleanly once again.
:
:So it seems that cvsup did indeed get confused by something.  My
:mind boggles at the implications of that :-(
:
:Everything else seems to be working just fine -- is there *any*
:chance that the vfs patch might be responsible for cvsup getting
:'confused'?
:
:BTW, my DragonFly-src-supfile contains this line:
:*default release=cvs tag=.
:
:This should get me HEAD when I use cvsup, correct?

    cvsup'ing the sources directly is dangerous when you are also trying
    to maintain a set of modifications.  cvsup is clueless about the
    modifications.  I don't think the kernel has anything to do with it.

    If you are trying to maintain a set of modifications (e.g. like my vfs
    patch), what you need to do is pull down the cvs tree itself with cvsup
    and then cvs checkout the sources into /usr/src.  Then just use a
    cron job to automatically keep your cvs tree up-to-date (once a day only,
    please).  Updating your source tree is then just a matter of a
    'cvs update' from /usr/src.  cvs will *NOT* get confused about any
    applied patches to the sources.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>