First vfs megapatch (not for the faint of heart)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Oct 9 13:25:30 PDT 2004

:dillon wrote @ Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:08:51 -0700 (PDT):
:>     !!! All normal users not involved with testing the VFS code should be
:>     using kernels based on the DragonFly_Stable tag and not mess with this
:>     stuff !!!
:>
:>     Here's the first mega patch, relative to HEAD.  This is not for
:>     the faint of heart.
:>
:> 	fetch http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~dillon/vfsx08.patch
:
:Seems to run fine here (buildworld -j etc.).
:Only some diagnostics.

    It survived my overnight test, which I find quite amazing considering
    what I just ripped out and replaced!  In fact, the patch is running
    better then HEAD is.

    I did notice that it does not pick up on NFS server-side file changes.
    If the DFly client running this patch has a negative cache entry for
    a file, and the file is created by the server, the DFly client doesn't
    pick up on it.  Even unmounting and remounting doesn't work, so my
    unmount-time cache purge isn't working.  I have some cache invalidation
    work to do :-)

    I am going to fix VOP_CLOSE and fix the cache timeouts and unmount-time
    invalidation issues and come up with another patch set.  If that one works
    I'll commit it to HEAD and move on to the next step.