trouble getting memory and swap info

Aggelos Economopoulos aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr
Wed Oct 27 12:19:04 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 21:46, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 12:23, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 October 2004 19:44, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> > > I am trying to get gkrellm2 working on DragonFlyBSD.  I got it to
> > > compile and run but it does not report the memory or swap.  Well,
> > > actually, it does report them, its just that the values are 0.  I used
> > > the src/usr.bin/top/machine.c and the xsysinfo dfport as a guide.  I am
> > > not at my DragonFly system at the moment but basically what I did was
> > > to set the vmmeter and vmstats structures as defined in vmmeter.h and
> > > used in top/machine.c, using sysctlbyname to get the information.  Is
> > > there something else I need to do?
> >
> > Could you try the dfport override I posted on submit@ on 18/10 and let me
> > know if it works (just dump it on /usr/dfports/sysutils and make
> > install)? Not that I pay any attention to gkrellms memory meters (they
> > suck) but it seems to agree with top on my machine.
>
> Thanks.  Maybe I am misreading the patch but it looks like you are
> getting swap info (total and used) from "/compat/linux/proc/meminfo".
> Is that correct?

Yes. I didn't write any of the code in dfly.c though, I just copied it over
from freebsd.c and removed the portions that were obsolete/broken on
dragonfly, so the linprocfs dependency didn't bother me: it's what the
original code did. Feel free to improve it and if you do, please start by
running indent on it; such code makes the gnu style look beautiful by
comparison. Or, even better, throw it out the window and start from scratch
8)

Aggelos